It’s that time of year again when we reflect on what has happened in the previous year, and anticipate what is to come in the next. It’s always fun to do that here at Southern Gospel Critique and remember all the great music that has been created for our enjoyment and edification. Today, I present my personal list of favorite recorded songs of 2014.
This year, unlike some years past, I legitimately had four or five songs I considered for “Song of the Year,” and it was a very difficult task to differentiate between those songs. But in the end, I came back to a song from a recording released at the very beginning of 2014. “When the King Comes to Claim His Throne,” written by Dianne Wilkinson and recorded by the Mark Trammell Quartet, is a great example of straight-up quartet singing, features a chorus with a fun bit of counterpoint, and has an exciting arrangement, including a false ending and turnaround. But more importantly than those musical features, it is another outstanding Biblical exposition from Dianne Wilkinson, on an end-times topic that doesn’t get nearly as much attention as some others. Drawing from Scripture in Revelation and Isaiah, it sums up most everything Christians need to know about the Millennial Reign of Christ.
“When the King Comes to Claim His Throne” is the second of back-to-back Southern Gospel Critique “Songs of the Year” for Wilkinson, and she has had at least one song in my Top 3 all four years I have been writing. With five songs in my Top 20, I suppose it’s safe to say Dianne Wilkinson is my Songwriter of the Year for 2014!
Now, here is my list of Top Songs of the past year!
- “When the King Comes to Claim His Throne,” Mark Trammell Quartet, Your Walk Talks (Dianne Wilkinson)
- “I’ve Never Seen the Righteous Forsaken,” Kingsmen, Battle Cry (Rebbeca Peck)
- “I’ll Take It to the Grave,” Mark Trammell Quartet, Your Walk Talks (Dianne Wilkinson/Rebecca Peck)
- “Say Amen,” Brian Free & Assurance, Unashamed (Kenna Turner West/Lee Black/Michael Farren)
- “Never No Never,” Joseph Habedank, Welcome Home (Joseph Habedank/Lee Black/Tony Wood)
- “Glorious Night,” Kyla Rowland & Deliverance, Family Affair (Kyla Rowland)
- “Come and Dine,” Kingsmen, Battle Cry (Dianne Wilkinson/Daryl Williams)
- “Lord, I’m Thankful,” Perrys, Into His Presence (Joel Lindsey)
- “God’s Been Faithful,” Mark Trammell Quartet, Your Walk Talks (Dianne Wilkinson/Scott Inman)
- “A Family Affair,” Barry Rowland & Deliverance & Family, Family Affair (Kyla Rowland)
- “When the Lights Go Down,” Joseph Habedank, Welcome Home (Joseph Habedank/Matthew Holt)
- “Oh Yes I Am,” Kingsmen, Battle Cry (Regina Walden)
- “I’ve Found a Faithful Friend,” Inspirations, God’s Word Will Stand (Leonard Fletcher)
- “He Took Away My Burden,” Kingsmen, Battle Cry (Scott Inman/Daryl Williams)
- “Somebody Go Get God,” Barry Rowland & Deliverance, Family Affair (Kyla Rowland/Jessica Thomas Austin)
- “Your Walk Talks,” Mark Trammell Quartet, Your Walk Talks (Rodney Griffin/Babbie Mason)
- “I Am a Soldier,” Tribute Quartet, Journey of Hope (Kyla Rowland)
- “Christ Is Still the King,” Legacy Five, Great Day (Dianne Wilkinson/Rebecca Peck)
- “All Made It Ashore,” Tribute Quartet, Journey of Hope (Marcia Henry)
- “I’ll Keep on Running,” Hoggle Family, The Hoggle Family (Donald Morris)
Later this week, I’ll be posting my top albums of 2014!